Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

In article ,
George's Pro Sound Company wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
George's Pro Sound Company wrote:

"Ron Johnson" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:
This is a well established technique for preventing voice coils
burning out under conditions of 'overdrive'.

here is a novel thought
DON"T OVERDRIVE THEM
simple and effective

Easily said - but not so easy to do when setting up this sort of
equipment. Let alone when that equipment is being used by all sorts.

it's what I do
the easiest way to overdrive a speaker is to use a amp larger than the
speakers rateing

Strangely that's not always so.

The best solution would be a decent limiter on the amp input - but
these cost if it's not going to sound horrid when it operates. A bulb
is a very cheap solution to help protect the speakers.

No lamps in my meyers. setting up a system that both sounds good and
stays within the limits of the equipment used is NOT hard, it simply
requires one know what they are doing.

These days always having 'someone who knows what they're doing' is rare.
And even less likely with a small band starting out. So you need to make
equipment as idiot proof as possible.

a amp equal to the speaker rms
rateing will never burn out the speaker unless the amp is clipped hard
and long it will never exceed the excursion of the speaker unless
someone fires a gun a inch from a mic at foolish gains set your system
up properly and you have no need for these foolish lamps.

Either the amp cannot produce enough wally to damage the speakers or it
can - so the gunshot thing is rubbish. But no speaker is designed to
handle DC for long - which is what you can get from a grossly overloaded
amp. To be certain that DC couldn't wreck the speakers would require a
*much* smaller amp than would otherwise make sense. Or, of course, use an
amp which can't pass DC.

create cheap
MI gear that is used improperly and you need to limit the abuse idiots
can administer, to save on the warrentte costs I have never heard a
speaker with lamps(I've owned plenty) sound as good as a speaker with
out lamps

Correctly designed the lamp should have little effect on the sound as its
cold resistance will be very low. Only when it starts to 'protect' will
the resistance increase.

again no lamps in my meyers, I do have alimiter but it is set well
above any threshold I pass music at. why buy a 1000 watt amp then limit
it to 300 watts, why not just buy a 300 watt amp?

Why are you using a limiter at all, then?

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.