Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
George's Pro Sound Company wrote:

"Ron Johnson" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:
This is a well established technique for preventing voice coils
burning out under conditions of 'overdrive'.

here is a novel thought
DON"T OVERDRIVE THEM
simple and effective

Easily said - but not so easy to do when setting up this sort of
equipment. Let alone when that equipment is being used by all sorts.

it's what I do
the easiest way to overdrive a speaker is to use a amp larger than the
speakers rateing

Strangely that's not always so.

The best solution would be a decent limiter on the amp input - but these
cost if it's not going to sound horrid when it operates. A bulb is a very
cheap solution to help protect the speakers.

No lamps in my meyers.
setting up a system that both sounds good and stays within the limits of the
equipment used is NOT hard, it simply requires one know what they are doing.
a amp equal to the speaker rms rateing will never burn out the speaker
unless the amp is clipped hard and long
it will never exceed the excursion of the speaker unless someone fires a gun
a inch from a mic at foolish gains
set your system up properly and you have no need for these foolish lamps.
create cheap MI gear that is used improperly and you need to limit the abuse
idiots can administer, to save on the warrentte costs
I have never heard a speaker with lamps(I've owned plenty) sound as good as
a speaker with out lamps

again no lamps in my meyers, I do have alimiter but it is set well above
any threshold I pass music at.
why buy a 1000 watt amp then limit it to 300 watts, why not just buy a 300
watt amp?
George