Pat Barber

Default Mortise & Tenon help

John Lucas does a pretty fair job of explaining this critter:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/prod-bdl.htm

You could also use a router with a jig or a edge guide.

The most valuable tools you can possible get are BOOKS.

There are MANY great books on joinery.

M&T can be done at least a half dozen different ways.

Some are easy, some are hard, they all end up with the same
result. The only way to figure out the "best way" is to try
them all(eventually).

The router can do a LOT for you but it requires practice and
jigs to make it accurate. A router screaming at 22,500 rpms
perched up on a piece of expensive wood is not a pleasant
experience unless you are VERY prepared. See the above about
BOOKS.

Here is an EXCELLENT book on joinery by a very bright guy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...52817?v=glance

Here is another:

My point is, there are many books on joinery.... Start your library NOW.

M&T has been around for a couple thousand years, soooo why not take
advantage of other peoples mistakes ???

"Mike W." wrote:

I can make the tenon with a planned homemade jig for my table saw...

the mortise is the hard part.

It seems that every project I do I say, 'If I just had a insert new tool
name here then I could do this like Norm'.