Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Colour flagging of wires

"Tim S" wrote in message
BigWallop coughed up some electrons that declared:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
One of my pet hates is lighting positions (or any other place where
wires are used in non obvious ways that differ from their colouring)
where the original installer obviously could not be arsed to flag the
wires with coloured tape or sleeving when required (e.g. the wire
carrying switched live from the switch). So when changing a fitting or
lamp etc I will normally correct this as a matter of routine.

Now traditionally one would flag the black wire with red, or these days
the blue with brown. It just occurred to me that now the new colours

are
mandatory, what is the correct procedure in a mixed colour

installation?
Should one still flag black wires with red, or should one now use

brown?
Appendix 7 of BS7671 does not seem to give an answer.

John.

You would flag a switched live as brown, being the new adopted colour
scheme, even if you leave the original live as red, the different
distinction between red and brown is acceptable. In cases of multiple
conductor systems used for remote switching etc, you could actually

leave
the switched live as black.

This precise question came up on the EAL course I attended a few weeks

back.

The answer according to our instructor was:

New colour cables should be flagged in new colours;

Old colour cables should be flagged according to old colours, even if the
flagging is done post-harmonisation.

To me it makes sense to maintain the colours within a section of cable to
suit that cable, even on a mixed installation.

Cheers

Tim

Tell your instructor that, if I have to carry any more coloured sleeving
about with me, I'm gonna' come down there and bosh him in the face. I'm
goin' for crayons next time. See how they like that. :-)

I loved it when I could carry a roll of green/yellow over sleeve and that
was that. :-)