Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default plastic plumbing vs copper - a moan.

tonyjeffs wrote:
Aarrgh - need a break - I'm plumbing a new kitchen.

Lots of people say how good the plastic pipe is, and it is used on a
lot of newbuild, so I thought I'd try it.
But I hate it. It curls up on itself, you can't put a bend in it,
the joints are huge, and because it is flexable I find I measure it
inaccurately.
So I'm going to bin it and buy some 15mm copper.

What do other people think?

Tony

I like it. It does take some getting used to. The joints are (in
general) too bulky. The pipe does tend to curl awkwardly. But the
compensations of being able to get it into places that would otherwise
be very difficult, of (often) having considerable leeway in cutting, of
less condensation on the surface, of quieter flows, of being able to get
a large amount home in a small car, of being able to run 10 metres round
a house as a single, unjoined length, and others - well, these tip the
balance. But I am perfectly happy to use a bit of copper as and when
appropriate.

I'll give you one example. I needed to feed cold water to the downstairs
cloakroom. One pipe down alongside the stack pipe, curved round to
horizontal and a final curve up to the cistern. I'd guess around 4
metres of pipe. Honestly, just getting the run downstairs would have
been awkward in copper. (All behind cupboards, to be boxed in, etc. so
neatness achievable with copper not an issue.) Then, a few weeks ago, I
added an outdoor tap from that same pipe. A simple tee and stop valve
and out through the wall. (Had I used copper originally this would have
resulted in access being a problem for this job.) But I did use a brass
compression joint for the external elbow.

--
Rod

onset.