Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Abene mill gearbox insides

"
This is very nicely made, notice all the ball bearings - all the gears
ride
on double pairs of needle bearings - this is fine Swiss workmanship -
this
particular mill was made in 1970

It looks beautiful. I wish that I hand one -- and someplace to
put it.

I took it apart because I wanted to clean and paint part of the casting
and
to replace oil seals - the oil seals are 17mmX35mmX10mm - you can replace
them without taking the gearbox apart (I recommend not taking it apart,
now
that I've done it) -

:-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

If anyone would like, I can take a couple of photos of the assembled gearbox
ready to go back into the mill and upload them to the drop box - I won't
bother unless someone asks.

I've decided I'm going to make new sheaves to use the J series microgroove
belts - this whole exercise stated because I was tired of the flat belt
sliding off every time I tried to raise the table - now I know that it is
possible that replacing the belt alone will fix it, but if I redesign to use
modern belts, then I have a permanent solution with no more fuss and muss -
the downside is that I give up the safety feature of having the belt slide
off if there is an overload - but I figure if I don't tighten the belt too
much I can get slippage instead - the two sheaves are 88 and 51 mm (or 2 and
3.5 inches) so making these, with the exception of the key slots, is within
the capacity of my lathe - and I think I know where I can borrow the tools
to cut the slots for the keys.

comments anyone? anyone have some spare J series microgroove sheaves in the
sizes I need?