Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Colour flagging of wires

One of my pet hates is lighting positions (or any other place where
wires are used in non obvious ways that differ from their colouring)
where the original installer obviously could not be arsed to flag the
wires with coloured tape or sleeving when required (e.g. the wire
carrying switched live from the switch). So when changing a fitting or
lamp etc I will normally correct this as a matter of routine.

Now traditionally one would flag the black wire with red, or these days
the blue with brown. It just occurred to me that now the new colours are
mandatory, what is the correct procedure in a mixed colour installation?
Should one still flag black wires with red, or should one now use brown?
Appendix 7 of BS7671 does not seem to give an answer.

--
Cheers,

John.