Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Verdon Pete Verdon is offline

Default Energy saving monitor ?

Paul wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote

One of our Master Inventors (
http://earth2tech.com/2008/04/30/the...ts-energy-use/ )
was handing them out on the condition that we hooked them up to a system
at work that graphed everybody's power usage.

what software did you use to record the results?

The feed out of the meter is XML in plain ASCII at 9600 baud. When I was
still providing data to the system at work, I had a small low-power
Linux system plugged into it. A Perl script there read from the serial
port, extracted the power value (the XML also contains temperature and
various historical values which I wasn't interested in), and used an MQ
Telemetry Transport library to publish a new value to the central broker
every time it changed by more than 100 watts. My colleagues have
reinvented the wheel many times over with graphing and notification
gizmos subscribed to these power feeds.

I've been meaning to write my own script to put values into a database
and do various reporting on them (predicted bills and so on) but it's
fairly low down on quite a long list :-)

In summary, I'm not aware of any generally available software, but if
you have the skills it's very easy to hook things up to it.

Pete