Posted to alt.home.repair
Square Peg Square Peg is offline

Default Is Diamon-Fusion worth the price?

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:45:43 -0800, Square Peg
wrote:

I am about to replace a shower door unit. When the installer came out
to measure, he recommended that we get the glass treated with
something called Diamon-Fusion. He said it would make the glass easier
to clean and last longer.

I did a little checking and came up with the links below. The ads
claim that treated glass never needs cleaning, is 10 times stronger,
won't get dings (mostly for car windshields), etc. I didn't see a
claim for getting rid of belly-button lint, but I may have missed
that.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I never heard of it.

I don't know how much this will cost, but if it's this good, I would
think that the glass manufacturers would offer something like it
themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MyQTY6saY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GzwbxEuUbg

http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products/improves.html

The shower door installer was just here. They offer two products:
Diamon-Fusion, which is applied after market, and Tekon, which is
applied in the factory. For both of them, we cannot use any of the
usual glass cleaners including Windex. He also said we should use
special towels.

I checked the Diamon-Fusion website:

http://www.diamonfusion.com/

It claims to make car windshields 10x harder or more resistant to
dings. I asked him if uses Diamon-Fusion on his car. He said he does.
I then asked him if he goes through car washes. He said yes. I then
asked him how the product can tolerate car wash detergents, not to
mention wind, sun, highway grit, and windshield wipers, but not
Windex? He couldn't answer that questions. He then said that the
windshield produict is a different product and costs a lot more. But
he had already said that he uses the same product on his car.

I couldn't find anything on the website about not using Windex.

He also said that I can get Tekon on the new shower doors applied at
the factory. I check the Tekon website:

http://www.tekon.com/index.php

This is even more confusing and cluttered than the Diamon-Fusion
website. They are selling dozens of products.

I didn't get any answers that I felt were credible.

This looks to me like a complicated, somewhat unreliable, and not
inexpensive solution to a relatively minor problem.