Dave

Default Mortise & Tenon help

Mike,

IMO, when you first start woodworking you learn to improvise with the
tools you have until you can afford the tools you need for a specific
job. True, a mortising chisel will make your life a lot easier, and I
would recommend buying one for this project, adding other chisels
later. However, 20 years ago all I had was a set of Stanley bevel
edge chisels, and that's what I used to make my mortises. Not having
the right tool certainly makes the job more difficult, but if you're
patient and take your time, you can certainly make perfect mortices
with a bevel edge chisel.

Hope this helps,
Dave

"My Old Tools" wrote in message ...
By one good mortise chisel. Pick the size to fit your current project. Oh
yea, learn to sharpen.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Mike W." wrote in message
Im a semi-newbie at woodworking... I know WHAT to do... I just don't

always
know HOW to do it.

I have done mostly novice woodworking projects, but a few intermediate

ones.
I have build newspaper and magazine racks that are solid plywood... hung
some trim and crown molding. I have a crappy table saw, a decent router
(Porter Cable 1.5 HP, with a home made router table), a nice Brad nailer

and
compressor, and a few other 'OK' power tools.

My 18 month old daughter has tons of toys. So I want to build a toy box.
Lowes has this toybox on their website that screams for me to build it

(http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...RightNavFiles/
rightNavTools). I like the look and the practicality of it. The issue is
that it uses Mortise and Tenon jointery. I can make the tenon with a
planned homemade jig for my table saw... the mortise is the hard part. I
dont have a drill press. I dont have any 'good' mortise making chisels.
Can I do this with a normal drill and some semi cheap wood chisels?

Should
I just give up and make a drill press number one on my list of tools to
get... before the biscuit jointer and other items?

It seems that every project I do I say, 'If I just had a insert new tool
name here then I could do this like Norm'.
Its discouraging... but I'm fairly young so I know I have a while to go
before I'm even close.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike