Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default 1/2 bath to 3/4 bath home improvement

JONES-SMITH wrote:

I own a 54 year old house in Los angeles and I want to convert my 1/2
bath to a 3/4 bath by adding an upright shower. The room is "L" shaped
with a toilet at one end of the "L" and a sink at the other. The idea
is to make the room square by demo'ing the closet that makes the room
"L" shaped. I have very little experience but a lot of guts. I have a
professional who will hang the drywall after I am done installing the
shower. My biggest concern is tapping into the existing plumbing. My
plumbing questions a What supplies will I need? How difficult is
this project? How do I do it?

The biggest problem is the plumbing and base for the shower. Connecting
the water supply to the faucet isn't bad, but you'll need a drain in
the floor over to the existing pipes. That will be either the sink or
the toilet run. If you have a wooden floor, things are easier. A
concrete floor will require a small jackhammer.

Call a couple of local plumbers for estimates. Tell them you're trying
to decide whether you can afford the job, and that you just want rough
numbers--maybe to the nearest $500. They might be willing to give you
that kind of number over the phone.

This will be a fun job after you get the plumbing squared away.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement