John

Default Mortise & Tenon help

"Mike W." wrote in message ...
Im a semi-newbie at woodworking... I know WHAT to do... I just don't always
know HOW to do it.

I have done mostly novice woodworking projects, but a few intermediate ones.
I have build newspaper and magazine racks that are solid plywood... hung
some trim and crown molding. I have a crappy table saw, a decent router
(Porter Cable 1.5 HP, with a home made router table), a nice Brad nailer and
compressor, and a few other 'OK' power tools.

My 18 month old daughter has tons of toys. So I want to build a toy box.
Lowes has this toybox on their website that screams for me to build it
(http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...RightNavFiles/
rightNavTools). I like the look and the practicality of it. The issue is
that it uses Mortise and Tenon jointery. I can make the tenon with a
planned homemade jig for my table saw... the mortise is the hard part. I
dont have a drill press. I dont have any 'good' mortise making chisels.
Can I do this with a normal drill and some semi cheap wood chisels? Should
I just give up and make a drill press number one on my list of tools to
get... before the biscuit jointer and other items?

It seems that every project I do I say, 'If I just had a insert new tool
name here then I could do this like Norm'.
Its discouraging... but I'm fairly young so I know I have a while to go
before I'm even close.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...F9CDA8654D8F82

Or go to your favorite store and search for beadLOCK® Tenon Joinery
System. This along with your drill will let you do a loose mortise and
tenon.

Bama John