Charlie Self

Default wood flooring tiles

JOAT responds:

Thu, Sep 18, 2003, 12:38pm (EDT-3) (JackD)
snip wood floors are not made of wooden tiles. snip

Seen 'em in several parts of the world.

End grain wood holds up remarkably well under uses that will destroy concrete.
I've seen it used in factories with heaven knows what for a coating, in
buildings that were still in use (in the late '70s) but built in the teens.
Even then, there was a whole lot of heavy metal working going on (shooting pix
of a guy welding a wood stove for an article I did for Pop. Science some time
around '76, I thing: didn't do the cutting and welding directly on the wood,
but spatter sure hit it without real damage, and with no evident worry).

I think that stuff was oak, maybe white oak. Later, I saw similar stuff further
south that I'm pretty sure was SYP.

Charlie Self

"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and
steady dedication of a lifetime. "
Adlai E. Stevenson