Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Kitchen Knife Sharpener. Best type?

Vortex3 wrote:

Since there is no shortage of opinions in uk.d-i-y , I'd be interested in
opinions on the relative merits of:

"Whetstones"
"Steels"
Electric rotary sharpeners
Manual sharpeners that you draw the knife through.

All types are on this page:

http://www.cooks-knives.co.uk/acatal...harpeners.html

I'd recommend the Chantry knife sharpener, about half way down that page (or
http://www.cooks-knives.co.uk/acatal...html#aCHANTRY).
The description makes it sound like a bit of a gimmicky gadget but it
really does work, we've been using ours for well over 25 years and it does
exactly what it says on the tin. It works by rolling the cutting edge into
shape rather than by grinding metal off so it won't be able to put a
cutting edge onto a really blunt knife that never had a sharp edge to begin
with but it will keep good kitchen knives sharp without wearing them away.
A Google search shows you should be able to get them for about 6 quid less
elsewhere.

--
Mike Clarke