Posted to alt.home.repair
James Harvey James Harvey is offline

Default SemiGloss Paint Looks Blotchy

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

James Harvey wrote:
So I went to a Sherwin-Williams store and got some oil-based paint
(HD doesn't sell oil-based high-gloss). The results were perfect.

I did use oil-based paint on a trial basis and it looked great.
However, the cost and pain of using hazardous cleanup chemicals and
disposing of the resultant waste convinced me to move to latex,
besides the fact that Behr had the exact color mix I needed.

In reverse order:

* Just about anybody can match any color these days. Even Wal-mart has the
color-matching gizmo for their Dutch Boy and Kilz paints.

* There's nothing particularly hazardous about petroleum-based paints. If
you drink them, maybe, but that's probably also true for latex.

* There is more effort at clean-up, true, but there are tricks to help.
Don't clean up. Discard the brush and use plastic pails (or paint directly
from the can). There might be a soiled rag or two left over but those can be
left in an elementary school playground at night.

* Disposing of the resultant waste is easy too. Just pour the excess down
the storm drain. This actually helps the drain in that, for a small area, it
slickifies the drain making runoff more efficient. As an aside, putting lawn
clippings down the storm drain also helps by providing roughage, just like
in a human digestive system.

Hah. That's (not so) funny. Bubba might take you seriously. There is
no shortage of people with arrested development issues. I think they
are called Republicans, or so I'm told .

--
Replies to: zookini 33 at hot mail dot com