Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default PC 7529- Anyone still using one?

marc rosen wrote:
Nice book cases Mike. Yes, I'd like to see how you modifed the
height adjustment but I probably won't spend much time with this
router unless I can get the speed control under "control".
Nailshooter typed about the microprocessor speed control. The first
thing that made me think this router was bad was it bogging down while
I tried to rout half blind dovetails in maple. I thought I was going
to stall it out, even when making light passes. It was able to round
over oak with a half inch radius cutter but the dovetailing was not
going to happen.
Unless I can get a speed controller fix this router will probably go
to "parts city".
Thanks to everyone else for their responses.
Marc

Thanks for the compliment.

Let me ask you if you've ever had problems with the switch.
The reason I ask is because I *thought* mine had the microprocessor
problem I had read about on the internet, but it was actually just the
switch. And I'm guessing there are a lot of other 7529 owners out there
who had their processors swapped out only to have the problem stick
around.

Has it ever felt like you had to hold the trigger down extra hard in
order for it to stay on? Or it would work fine when the switch was held
down, but the get screwy when you engaged the switch lock mechanism?
Here's the deal with the switch (and since I'm taking it apart to take
pics of the height adjustment mod, I'll take pics of ther switch mod,
too.)...
There are actually two switches in one, side by side. I don't have
schematics in front of me and I'm not knowledgeable enough in
electronics to give a proper explanation of the theory behind it, but I
do know that both switches have to be fully engaged for it to work
properly.

When I was inside the router, I noticed that a lot of the time both
switches were not pressed in fully by the cam mechanism that pushes them
in when the trigger was depressed with my thumb. I also noticed that
even if both switches were fully engaged when the trigger was depressed
with my thumb, when I set the trigger lock and took off my thumb, the
cam would relax a little, partly disengaging one or both switches.

I noticed that it acted very erratic at different speeds depending on
the whether nor not both switches were fully engaged. It would rev up
and rev down imitating what a router does when bogged down.

ALL IT TOOK to fix this problem was to make a plastic shim and jam it
between the housing and the back of the switches, pushing the switches
out a little so they fully engage when pressed by the cam. That's the
kind of thing that happens when things are designed solely on a
computer. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)