Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Obama "Would like to teach the world to sing"

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It was in the news that he was leaning toward a supporter of the
'Fairness
Doctrine', of
course until he actually is inaugurated and presents his nominations all
this is
speculation.

There has been commentary in the broadcast media that the whole dustup is
the result of something said on a Limbaugh show. Limbaugh's original talk
radio show was "born," more or less, on the back of a 1987 Supreme Court
ruling against the Fiarness Doctrine.

And it was a great day!

You wouldn't have felt that way if we still had the media conditions we had
in the early '50s, and George Soros owned your local radio and TV stations.

That's what the Fairness Doctrine, which went into effect in 1949, was based
on. Cable TV diminished the justification for it; the Internet has pretty
well eliminated the rest.

There have always been a few liberals in Congress who favor it. They don't
have much support.

I hope not. I do wonder why seriously liberal commentary on other than
NPR doesn't seem
to exist though.

There is some entertaining stuff on TV now, on MSNBC. Keith Olbermann
("Countdown") can be pretty brutal, and Rachel Maddow is very good with a
sharp scalpal. g

Is it a case that conservatives like talk radio and liberals are in to
listening to the latest band on their ipods? There has to be a reason
since any pool of
consumers will find someone trying to make a buck on providing them with a
product.

There is some information about it, of interest mostly to the people who
plan and buy advertising, and it's based on the demographics. The key issue
appears to be that the core audience for conservative talk radio is fairly
monolithic, and they're angry. They're the Angry Conservative White Men.
There is no comparable large, homogeneous group among liberals.

We could get into a discussion about it, based on audience-study data, but
you wouldn't like it. d8-) You may be surprised to know that Limbaugh's
approval rating is very low according to nationwide surveys -- just slightly
higher than that of George Bush (based on a Rasmussen study conducted last
year, and I think there was at least one other recent study that had similar
results). He has a large enough audience to pull something like 13.5 million
listeners/week (that's what they call the "cume" in radio advertising speak:
the number of people who tuned into radio at least once and at least for
five minutes in an average week) , but that's actually a smallish percentage
of voting-age Americans. They're hard core but, by themselves, they can't
win an election.

Congress may not provide oversight during his term but a lot of the
citizens will paying
attention.

Of course. And they should. He's not likely to jump on the old liberal
chestnuts but he'll need popular support to keep the libs under control.

I sure hope so. The recent thing I heard is that the questionaire for
prospective members
of his administration wants to know about firearms ownership. Why?

I don't know. I didn't hear it. Where did you hear it?

--
Ed Huntress