Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default clamp meter to tell if someone's got a heater on?

On Nov 14, 12:51 pm, mick wrote:

Clip-on ammeters aren't usually all that accurate anyway. Keep the jaw
surfaces scrupulously clean and the conductor in the centre of the loop,
with other cables as far away as possible for best results.

Have you tested a clamp meter with the conductor not in the centre of
the loop, or with other conductors nearby? I haven't, but I'd be
surprised if the position of the conductors had a noticeable effect.
Assuming of course that the jaw surfaces have closed properly.