Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy Dawson Guy Dawson is offline

Default Barometer. Never lie them down?

wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:39:02 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 14 Nov, 16:14, "Graham." wrote:
I just saw an "expert" on "Flog It tell a guy always to keep
his barometer upright, an never ever lie it down.

As advice aimed at an audience that watches daytime TV, then it's not
too bad. You don't want them spilling mercury, I doubt if many could
spell aneroid let alone tell what sort of barometer they had.

Is the mercury not sealed in? Is it not to prevent the mercury
splitting with the problem of getting it all back together again?

We have a wheel barometer and there's no seal on it.

When we moved house the removals company would not move the barometer -
this was in their contract terms. I propped it up in my car and once
moved I had to reset it as the weight was no longer sitting on the
mercury.

We also have a modern aneroid barometer and an electronic one!

Guy
Guy Dawson@SMTP -
// ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M
4.45.4 4.45.4 4.45.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.45.4 4.45.4