Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Attaching a post to a concrete block wall

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Need to repair a fence. For end post, am planning on attaching it (4x4
PT) to the edge of a concrete block wall. Dunno if the blox are filled
or not, so would assume not. The fence is a low (~5' high) "woven-wood"
job, made with 1/4" bender boards and 4x4 posts. Homeowner isn't
particularly picky, just wants to make sure their dog stays out of the
neighbor's yard.

Looking in the Simpson /Anchoring and Fastening Systems For Concrete and
Masonry/ book, it seems my choices a

o "Titen" screws
o "Heli-Tie" helical wall ties
o Lag screw w/expansion shield

(I'm leaving out the epoxy ties, and a couple other fasteners I just
plain don't want to use).

The screws (Titen) look suspicious to me, screwing into crumbly
concrete. But the cover of the book shows an actual job using them,
where four large steel eyes, each screwed in with 6 Titens, were used to
lift 20,000 lb. slabs, so I guess they do work.

Actually, I'm tempted to go with an expansion anchor, like a Sleeve-All
or a Wedge-All. (I've used similar fasteners from other manufacturers
but not Simpson's.)

So what do the expert builders out there say? How would you do this?

- Paulo Freire

The screws do work, if you drill the pilot holes properly. Folks who
can't hold a drill straight and wallow out the hole as they drill will
have problems with them as the hole dia is critical with them. If the
application is only applying side / shear loading on them they are
probably the easiest to use.