Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default What's Stealing Squirrel Bait? (Have-a-heart)

frank1492 wrote:
I have a Have-a-heart trap positioned to trap squirrels (if any) if
they exit a hole in my eaves. They have been in there, but I have
reason to believe they were not there when the trap was placed.
(I saw a pair run by nervously when I was placing it.)
For bait, I used cashew nuts imbedded in peanut butter.
My question: Although the trap has never been sprung (I have
tested it serveral times) the bait keeps disappearing. Should I
suspect mice, or, if not mice, then what? Whenever I have used
Have-a-hearts, this has always happened and I have yet to catch
a squirrel anywhere!
If mice are suspected, what bait should I use that would be
more squirrel-specific, and would I have to wire it to the tray?
Thanks all for help!
Frank

I've been hearing a squirrel on the heating ducts under my house. If I
could get it to take peanut butter from my have-a-heart trap, that would
be progress. I think they aren't hungry because gorge themselves on my
pecans before going under the house to tear up insulation.

If I trapped a squirrel I'd have to find a bucket deep enough to
humanely submerge the trap. So today I resorted to blocking the vent
where I thought it was getting in. After all, squirrels dine out during
the day. No noise tonight.

In a neighborhood where shooting is unlawful, how do I get those tree
rats out of my pecan trees?