Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Help-what is reasonable? / Mill-drill Z problem

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I like the shim idea. The problem is that these plates are of rather
inconsistent thickness and the depth of cut has to be adjusted
individually. I shall look at all these ideas tomorrow.
Thanks,

A further thought occurred to me: A pack of cards!
However, another issue: To mill properly, I have to lock the spindle, right?
I would have thought that the change in Z-depth by the simple act of locking
the spindle is quite undesirable, especially as it is unpredictable and of
the order of 0.010". Am I wrong?