Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Help-what is reasonable?

Michael Koblic wrote:

I have no previous experience with milling machines. Your initial comment
suggests that a bigger better machine is less likely to suffer from these
issues. Is that correct? I am kind of disappointed as I have seen home-made
mills which had better organized Z-depth stop and adjustment than this.

I may have to rethink the whole issue and priorities.

Thanks,

It's simply that to build a milling machine, of any usefulness at all,
costs, and in order that the makers meet the price point determined by
the purchaser (the guy that ordered a sea can full) they make them to
meet that price.

Simply put, there have had to be compromises made, otherwise, we the
consumers of these goods, could not afford to enter the game.

Look at your mill as a pre-assembled kit of parts.

You may have to go in and redo some of the work that was not done to a
standard that you find acceptable. Such is the way of things.

You may find that you can smooth up the action of the Z axis enough to
suit your needs. Track down the play in the works, and see if you can
find out where it's moving. It may be something silly easy to fix, like
a part not tightened in it's place, or it may be something not so simple
to fix.
Did it come with a parts diagram? Look it over and see if there are
any obvious places that there could be that much play.

IIRC LittleMachineShop.com has some spares as well as some upgrade
stuff for these mills. Have you looked at that ? You may be able to pick
up some ideas there.

Cheers
Trevor Jones