Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default heated driveway

On Nov 13, 9:33*am, Claude Hopper
wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
I am looking for information on installing a water heater to provide
heat to my driveway. The former owner removed all the michanical
equipment just before the bank forclosed. I don't have a choice about
heating or not heating as the driveway is too steap to plow, snowblow,
etc. The toubing installed in the driveway is in good shape and the
cannections are in the garage, I just dont know what to hook to them,
Any help will be apreciated.

To get the amount of heat you need, the right equipment is a boiler with
enough output. *An inefficient one is going to cost about $3000 to $4500. An
efficient one will cost even more. *If you have hot water heat in your house
it may be possible to add an indirect fired hot water heater with
circulator, sort of like having an additional zone on the system. *It would
be a closed loop since you'd use glycol for outdoors. *The tank alone is in
the $1000 range, plus some controls and labor.

In any case it is going to be costly to operate if you get large amounts of
snow. *I'd go for a shovel and sand.

The driveway only needs to be above freezing DURING a snow to melt the
flakes as they fall. How often does it snow? After the driveway is dry
the heat can be turned off again.

--
Claude Hopper * * * * *

I don't know about the OP, but where I live snow is a daily
occurrence. Plus there the wind to deal with. Plus you know that old
saying "it's too cold for it to snow", well that isn't true.