Posted to rec.woodworking
DiggerOp DiggerOp is offline

Default Workbench top: two species of wood?

"Scritch" wrote in message
. 96.78...
Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for. I got a few
pieces of
5"x15"x7' Douglas fir glulam beams, and am nearing completion of a
rather
heavy workbench using them. Although the top will be 4 inches
thick, and
very stiff, I am beginning to be a little concerned that the top
surface
will be a bit soft, so I am thinking of putting on a layer of
hardwood for
durability. My concern is that differing rates of expansion over
the 29"
width of the top will break the glue joint between the two types
of wood.

I built my workbench using Douglas Fir glulams about 7 years ago.
The dimensions are 60" x 30" x 4". It also has a protective edge of
1.5" Jarrah, dowelled and screwed to the Douglas Fir. I also gave it
several applications of diluted raw linseed oil.

I have used it for everything, - ...boat building .... mechanical
repairs on motorcycles, ... cutting and welding .... and more.
Currently I'm building new kitchen cabinets for SWMBO.

I have not yet found the need to re-finish the surface, - just a
twice yearly application of raw linseed- it seems to get better with
age,

If I were to build another bench, I would use the same material
again.