Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default Obama "Would like to teach the world to sing"

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message

Well, Obama said he was against the fairness doctrine, but then he turns
around and appoints a person to the FCC Chair that is very much for the
fairness doctrine. So, you are right according to Obama's words but I'm
listening to his actions.

He hasn't appointed anyone to head the FCC yet. He still has his

transition
team working on possible candidates. What kind of stuff are you reading,
Roger?

I am all for fairness but controlling what a broadcaster broadcasts is

as
fair as forcing a country music station to play rap. If the listener
wants to hear something else, all they have to do is change stations.

I don't think you'll see Obama try to resurrect the Fairness Doctrine. It
made sense in 1949, when few markets had more than one or two TV stations,
at most, and the question of whether broadcasters should be treated as
common carriers or not raged in the telecommunications field until the

'70s.
But that was before cable and the Internet, and isn't taken seriously by
many people today. As far as I know, all Obama has said is that he doesn't
favor it.

Now on to abortion. I believe abortion is morally wrong but that's my
beliefs. The government gives something like $300,000,000 of taxpayer
money to fund abortion and a large portion of the money goes to Planned
Parenthood.

No. Planned Parenthood is prevented from spending federal money for
abortions under Title X. Most of the federal money goes to birth control,
screening and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, screening for
breast cancer and hypertension, prenatal care, postpartum counseling and
well-baby care. That's most of what they do. Most fundies don't realize
that.

The federal money that does for abortions applies only in cases of rape,
incest, and life-threatening health conditions to the mother, as limited

by
the Hyde Amendment. It's a minute fraction of what you quoted.

Planned Parenthood was trying to get the Government to pay for the
medicines that they sell to their customers at up to 1400% profit

margin.
Where I see butchered babies, Planned Parenthood sees an opportunity to
get taxpayer money.

More horse****. Let me ask you again: Where do you get this stuff?

Obama has plans to give Planned Parenthood a huge raise.

Tell us about those plans, Roger. What's your basis for this claim?

You mentioned the baby dismemberment that was taking place because of

the
ban on partial birth abortion. I'm sure the dismemberment is a horrible
thing but the partial birth abortion, where an instrument is stabbed in
the babies head and it's brains are sucked out and the skull collapsed,
doesn't sound much better. The idea of banning partial birth abortion

was
to try to save babies lives, not have the butchers dismember the baby in
the mothers womb.

And it failed to do that because it was a political ploy from the very
beginning. The whole thing has an interesting history.

What they neglected to tell anyone (but which the cynical *******s knew

all
along) is that putting an end to ID&E would just switch the practice to
intrauterine dismemberment. The reason ID had lost favor is that it raises
large risks to the mother, including unextracted tissue and frequent

tearing
of the uterine walls. I shouldn't have to tell you how dangerous that is.

In
any case, it didn't reduce late-term abortions much, if at all. It just

made
them more hellish.

Now, you may ask, since you think I spend huge amounts of time here, how
does Huntress know about these things? Regarding the Fairness Doctrine,

one
of my degrees is in telecommunications, and I had to debate the doctrine

and
write about it around 1970, when it was still hot. My advisor was Dr. John
Abel, former Executive VP of the National Association of Broadcasters, and

did license-renewal research for him, including documenting Fairness
Doctrine issues.

Regarding abortion and Planned Parenthood, I have a personal interest,
because one of my college roommates was Maureen Paul, now Dr. Maureen

Paul,
one of the top experts in ID&E and an executive with Planned Parenthood in
New York and San Francisco in various years, who was under threat from the
fundies for over two years and had to wear a bulletproof vest and had to

be
escorted by the FBI to and from work. You should look her up on Google. I
haven't talked to her since but I followed her situation and studied her
work for years, because she was a very important person in my life. She's
conducted a lot of abortions and is one of the most moral and decent

people
I've ever known. She'd really stand your preconceptions on their head if

you
should meet and talk to her.

I don't spend as much time here as you think. I just type like lightning,
and I learned how to learn and research many years ago, specifically to
communicate accurate information to the people I wrote for, as a magazine
writer. Think of it as the opposite of what those people do that you get
your "facts" from. They're my sworn enemy.

We're done here, Roger. You won't take the time to actually check your
claims, which means I have to do it if we're going to have a conversation.
So we're not going to have any more conversation.

Good luck, good health, and may your blood pressure stay in the healthy
range. g

--
Ed Huntress

After that speil, Ed, one thing is clear. You haven't got any idea what you
are talking about and are some kind of left wing nut. I just wanted to say
that before any of the right wingers got the chance to.

Hawke