Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's Stealing Squirrel Bait? (Have-a-heart)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:40:25 -0500, Frank
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
I have a Have-a-heart trap positioned to trap squirrels (if any) if
they exit a hole in my eaves. They have been in there, but I have
reason to believe they were not there when the trap was placed.
(I saw a pair run by nervously when I was placing it.)
For bait, I used cashew nuts imbedded in peanut butter.
My question: Although the trap has never been sprung (I have
tested it serveral times) the bait keeps disappearing. Should I
suspect mice, or, if not mice, then what? Whenever I have used
Have-a-hearts, this has always happened and I have yet to catch
a squirrel anywhere!
If mice are suspected, what bait should I use that would be
more squirrel-specific, and would I have to wire it to the tray?
Thanks all for help!
Frank

Make sure trigger is sensitive enough, sometimes traps get a little
creaky and may hang up. Peanut butter alone is fine and I'd smear
trigger top and bottom so squirrels will have to work at. As others
point out, mice can be tough even in mouse traps as they lick gently.
If you are using a lot of peanut butter, I doubt that a mouse could
consume that much in a day.

Also better seal that hole in the eves. Cost my son several hundred
dollars in removing a squirrel that got trapped and died in walls.

Take a couple of ragd soaked in ammonia and throw them into the hole.
Repeat every 2 days for a week, then plug the hole.

Squirrels, mice, raccoons - they can't STAND ammonia and will move
out, pronto.