Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Pump Basin Issues

On Nov 13, 2:36�pm, (peterpa) wrote:
Our 1989 house flooded this fall after our sump pump and backup failed.
The main unit burned out, and the backup's float was stuck with a gooey
orange sediment. �After installing a new main pump, it wouldn't discharge
the water, only to find out that heavy sediment had completely clogged the
1 1/2" (or 2") PVC above the check valve. �When I cut the PVC pipe at the
ceiling, there was less than 1/8" gap to pump the water ... the entire
pipe was filled with orange sediment (clay probably). �I replaced the PVC
pipe up to the ceiling and stuck some hoses and snakes through the PVC
pipe to the outside of the house and got the water flow after installing a
new pump.

Two questions:
1) What's the best way to snake out the PVC pipe ... I opened it up the
bathroom drainage snake, but I'd like to give it a good thorough sweeping..
�The run is about 35' long.

2) What could be causing so much sediment to be draining to the sump pump?
�I'd always noticed the orange sediment, but didn't realize how much it
could impact things.

3) if you allow me one more, is this at all common, and how may I go about
fixing?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

replasce the drain line, and go larger to make clogging less likely.
perodically flush and wet dry shop vac out the sump, to clean the pump
and minimize future clogs.

where does the drain water discharge? if its to daylight try flushing
with garden hose

if your sump is above the grade of any part of your yard, dig ditch
install sump overflow line to prevent future floods.

yeah they do slowly clog, you need to add sump / pump maintence yearly
check to your list of home maintence items.

some people add a additional sump with seerate pump and drain line, to
prevent disasters.

amazing how many sumps are above grade, overflow line although costs
for ditch digging is highly reliable. if you can do this go with 4
inch PVC to make snaking easy