Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Stain after polyurethane removed

jacy wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:36:52 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

[...]

If the doors are flat and not carved, it would take much less time, but
have to take them
out, remove hardware, etc. Big job.

Yeah, I remember all to well how long it took to do it the first time
around, which is probably why I was thinking dip-n-strip. Fortunately,
I know it's 100% wood (you artistically painted a grain design? wow!)
and the design is completely flat so that helps. I wouldn't mind
raising the grain with a dip-n-strip but the expense is probably not
doable.

As one who would do almost anything to avoid sanding, I wouldn't
recommend.........flat surface
is MUCH easier with paint remover than moldings and carvings. On a
clear, factory finish
one application (properly done) would probably do the job.

On the other hand, I just grounded my 17-year-old son for a month and

Wow! That's a serious sentence where I come from......imposed it once,
with NO COMPLAINTS
from the guilty party. Perfect timing......be sure to remind your son
if he dislikes the work you are
going to teach him to do ) Got a garage to work in? Be sure to
supervise if he does stripping,
wear goggles, dispose of rags in fire safe place. Sandwich bags were my
substitute for gloves
using stripper and wash with mineral spirits.....I've used special
gloves for the purpose but they
didn't last long.

his help will come in handy, especially given all the school days not
in session in November. He's more than capable of removing doors and
hardware and sanding the alkyd interiors, maybe even strip the

Sand interiors? Only if they are glossy.........be sure to let paint
CURE before filling cupboards.
Cupboards will be full of stuff, so paint just has to stick, right?

interiors of the doors while I work on the frames. While I'd rather he
not have engaged in the behavior which led to the grounding, I'll take
the gift of his time!

Kids take many years to become "useful" )

~Jacy