Posted to alt.home.repair
jacy jacy is offline

Default Stain after polyurethane removed

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:36:52 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

[...]
If the doors are flat and not carved, it would take much less time, but
have to take them
out, remove hardware, etc. Big job.

Yeah, I remember all to well how long it took to do it the first time
around, which is probably why I was thinking dip-n-strip. Fortunately,
I know it's 100% wood (you artistically painted a grain design? wow!)
and the design is completely flat so that helps. I wouldn't mind
raising the grain with a dip-n-strip but the expense is probably not
doable.

On the other hand, I just grounded my 17-year-old son for a month and
his help will come in handy, especially given all the school days not
in session in November. He's more than capable of removing doors and
hardware and sanding the alkyd interiors, maybe even strip the
interiors of the doors while I work on the frames. While I'd rather he
not have engaged in the behavior which led to the grounding, I'll take
the gift of his time!

~Jacy