Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default changing CU

sm_jamieson wrote:

General guidance on changing a CU he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._consumer_unit

2. The main fuse is in a brown plastic box with a slide-out section
with finger grips on it. What will be the design of this (so I know
the mechanics if I decide to pull it myself) ? Is it a captive fuse
that will be pulled out when I pull out the sliding section ? How hard
should I have to pull ? Is the fuse itself just like a very large
cartridge fuse ? Any pictures ?

It will probably be a captive large cartridge fuse that stays in the bit
you pull. This will normally have "fingers" on it that connect to the
fuse and poke into the bit fixed to the wall. To pull it you usually
remove any wire seals if there are any, cut any paper ones, grab by the
finger grips and pull[1]. The amount of pull required will normally be
no more than that required to withdraw a plug from a socket.

There is one example he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...utandMeter.jpg

On that one the whole front bit come off revealing the terminals for
both ends of the fuse, slight shrouded (but on that one, you could poke
a finger into the live end if you wanted!). Normally with these I cover
the live end with some tape as a precaution against something
accidentally getting poked in there when working near it.

[1] Make sure there is no electrical load on the fuse when you pull it -
e.g. turn the main switch off on the CU.

--
Cheers,

John.