Posted to uk.d-i-y
ransley ransley is offline

Default clamp meter to tell if someone's got a heater on?

On Nov 12, 6:00*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
I've read here that clamp meters are about 5% accurate,
so if I bought one like this for £20 (+vat+postage)http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufact...Test_Meters_7/

0.1amp *= *24 watts
so could I have one before the Consumer Unit
and use it to check if anyone's left lights on,
or got a electric fire on etc?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufact...Test_Meters_7/
Digital Clamp Test Meter

Data hold and peak hold functions

DC Voltage: 1V - 1000V (±0.5%)
AC Voltage: 1V - 750V (±0.6%)
AC Current: 0.1A - 1000A (±2.0%)
Resistance: 200 ohms - 20k ohms (±2%)
Insulation test 2000M ohms Max.
Max. display 1999
Jaw Size 58mm

--

It doesnt say 5% it said 0.5 thats a half a percent, about half a
volt. What are you realy trying to do, is a tenant going out leaving
stuff on, In the US we can buy something that goes on the meter with
remote reader, you could get a data logger to the computer. If you
want to find shorts get a Clamp On that goes to.01a. A Kill-a-Watt is
great for apliance monitoring, if its a tenant and you pay the
electric, thats a problem.