Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BAXI Ecogen

In article ,
"Vortex2" writes:
For the past few years I've been very intrigued about these MicroCHP boilers
that are under development, for example I can see that the so-called "BAXI
Ecogen"
should be coming to market next year:

http://www.baxi.co.uk/baxiecogen

Have any uk.d-i-y ers encountered this technology yet? There must be
hundreds of these on test out there in the field.

I'm especially interested in the noise performance. Surely these things
must produce some kind of 50/100Hz Hum!!!!!!! That would drive me nuts.

There were a couple of other products a couple of years back.
They were eventually withdrawn, believed due to reliability issues.

I think these might make sense if we were to be self-sufficient in
gas supplies for most of the boiler life. You're too late for that
now in this country. They make good sense for countries which are
still self-sufficient in gas, but then they don't need to be
concerned so much about efficiency of gas - electricity conversion,
just like we weren't. The previous micro-CHP systems couldn't produce
electricity off-grid, so there're no use in power cuts. One of them
was intending to produce a sort of add-on power pack to anable this,
but it didn't appear before the products were withdrawn.

We need to quickly move our electricty generation away from gas now,
which is no longer consistent with micro-CHP. Their time in the UK
was 10+ years ago, if they had been around at that time. It's a shame
as I like the idea.

I like this...

"In addition it is well documented that the burning of those fossil
fuels is causing a build up of greenhouse gases that is contributing
to global warming. In light of this, it makes sense to make the
best possible use of our natural resources. It is clear that we
need to produce cleaner energy, and microgeneration can help us to
address this issue at grass roots level - in our individual homes.
"
Run that by me again -- just what fuel does it use to create the
electricity ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel