Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default changing CU

I will be changing my CU soon (from old 5-way fuse box). It is covered
by my extension work on full plans. A few questions:

1. I currently pay British Gas for my electricity. If I want someone
to come and upgrade from 60A to 100A and fit a breaker, do I contact
my supplier (BG) or the infrastructure poeple (e-on in Midlands ?)
Likely cost ?

2. The main fuse is in a brown plastic box with a slide-out section
with finger grips on it. What will be the design of this (so I know
the mechanics if I decide to pull it myself) ? Is it a captive fuse
that will be pulled out when I pull out the sliding section ? How hard
should I have to pull ? Is the fuse itself just like a very large
cartridge fuse ? Any pictures ?

3. If I find an RCD is tripping all the time on some circuit having
installed the new CU, can you get a slot-in "normal fuse" to use
temporarily until you have time to investigate and fix ?

4. I'll probably get 16-way split unit. Any preferred makes ?

5. Anything special / funny needed for 17th Ed wiring ? I've got the
onsite guide on order !

Thanks,
Simon.