Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default CH Thermostat Position

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from contains these words:

If it isn't in the warmest area the heating won't turn on even
though
the area you want warm has cooled below the desired temp.

snip

As I suggested before if you have the stat in the hall you get the worst
of both worlds - a closely controlled temperature in a place where such
precision doesn't really matter and a step change in boiler response
depending on whether or not the external door is opened.

Place the stat in a north facing bedroom (as suggested upthread as well)
and you do at least get a room where external influences are a minimum
but do you really want a bedroom to be at the same temperature all the
time the heating is on? Separate heating zones for upstairs and
downstairs are becoming commonplace these days which would rule that
option out for controlling downstairs heat in any event.

The major problem with a stat in the living room is the presence of a
supplementary heating source which could lead to the rest of the house
cooling down if it puts out a meaningful amount of heat but even that
can be worked round with a little bit of effort.

It's one of those conundrums that doesn't have an answer - well it does,
TRV's on all the radiators for starters and seprate zones. The main problem
with a thermostat, not in the hall but half way up the stairs, as I had one
once, was not the close control or the step change on front door opening
(which never happens as, in real life most of the other doors are open and
the cold air hits your feet) but having the hall in the north of the
building in winter and sun heating wintery south facing rooms which then got
too hot as the heating was on. The sitting room has problems as have been
described.

In the light of experience, I would put the thermostat in the dining room if
you have one. It is less likely to have separate heat sources or an outside
door and is still a living room and reasonable furnished and curtained
(usually) and only slightly cooler than the sitting room. It's not ideal but
best you can do IMHO

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not