Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default CH Thermostat Position

The message
from contains these words:

If it isn't in the warmest area the heating won't turn on even though
the area you want warm has cooled below the desired temp.

What on earth are you on about?

Does seem to be complete nonsense.

Shame that its not.

If you put the stat in the coldest place the temperature has to drop below
the desired temp in the warmer areas before the heating will turn on. In
fact the lounge could sit at a lower temperature for weeks at a time
without
the heating switching on if you put the stat in a cooler area.

Dennis lives in my kill file for obvious reasons so I only see the
nonsense he spouts when it is re-posted.

I'm trying to understand what you say above . Surely if the stat is
placed in the coldest place and the temp in that room drops below what
the stat is set at the heating will come on ,thereby heating the
lounge as well.

Of course.

What you need to consider are the external factors effecting the heating
and where you want the temperature control to be most consistent.

Put the stat in the living room and that room at least will be
temperature controlled over close limits. Have the stat elsewhere and
TRVs on the rads in the living room and the limits are likely to be
somewhat larger and more variable even if heating system has been
balanced properly.

As I suggested before if you have the stat in the hall you get the worst
of both worlds - a closely controlled temperature in a place where such
precision doesn't really matter and a step change in boiler response
depending on whether or not the external door is opened.

Place the stat in a north facing bedroom (as suggested upthread as well)
and you do at least get a room where external influences are a minimum
but do you really want a bedroom to be at the same temperature all the
time the heating is on? Separate heating zones for upstairs and
downstairs are becoming commonplace these days which would rule that
option out for controlling downstairs heat in any event.

The major problem with a stat in the living room is the presence of a
supplementary heating source which could lead to the rest of the house
cooling down if it puts out a meaningful amount of heat but even that
can be worked round with a little bit of effort.

--
Roger Chapman