Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Stain after polyurethane removed

jacy wrote:

Reface or replace are out of the question on my budget. I did consider
paint, however I'd prefer to keep what little grain I do have although
I can't figure out what the veneer is -- maple, maybe, or birch? Not
much grain at all on the outside; inside must be whatever hardwood was
in vogue in the early 1950s midwest. (A carpenter, I'm not.)

Be careful if you don't know what the "wood" is - I have had cabinets
with wood doors, natural
wood on inside and some kind of paper/printed grain on outside.

The other challenge is the interior. Way back when we first sanded and
poly-coated these, we painted the cabinet frame interiors with white
alkyd gloss. It badly needs a fresh coat.

We refaced, got new doors and drawers on old plywood, built-in-place
cabinets. Painted
all interiors with two coats alkyd semi. Just like new )

Any comments on those dip-n-strip places? There are 13 doors and 2
drawers and if I could get those stripped reasonably I think I might

They are expensive and very tough on wood - raise the grain a great
deal. I stripped the cabinets
for a friend once.......out of work, needed money.........nasty job but
great results. Took off old,
dark "Spanish Oak" stain. Got beautiful brown oak without any further
stain. Discovered
after sloshing paint remover onto the end of the cabinet that it wasn't
wood, but printed
grain on particle board. Ohmygosh! I was already on verge of nervous
breakdown, but
was able to muster all my art talent and paint on oak grain.

If the doors are flat and not carved, it would take much less time, but
have to take them
out, remove hardware, etc. Big job.

be able to get the frames done before 2010. It's just me now, with
precious little spare time and as with most things, 80% of it is
labor. Googling chemical stripping services gets me a whole lot of
you-know-what and activates the parent filter.

Thanks,
~jacy

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:56:44 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:
[...]

Your other options a
* Paint