Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Work table design ideas?

Strong and flat. Remember you might want to clamp something
down on it to flatten it or square something up.

If it must be movable - consider taking legs off.

If you don't go butcher block style, then consider multiple
MDF or ply layers attached together.

Martin

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Should close escrow on a forclosure in a few days and need to build
out my 2 car garage shop. Besides pulling in all my machinery and
tools from all the various shops an other locations they currently
live, I need to build a shop table.

I am going for a 4 x 8 flat surface. I'll build storage under it as
needed and I will make sure it is movable. I am thinking of a
derivation of this design. Anyone else have design ideas or input?

Some things to consider:

Do you want a "work table" or a "storage surface"?

Have built a couple of work tables for use as fiberglass cutting
tables (A roll of glass weighs about 250 lbs) using 2x6 frame and
legs, double 1/2 CDX top and 1x4 diagonal bracing.

Basic brick out house construction.

The were built to take a beating, but would not have been worth a hoot
if equipped /w/ casters.

Built a 4x8 runout table for table saw /w/ storage drawers underneath.

Would have req'd a fork lift to move it.

Built a table /w/ 1x4 framing and 1/4 hardboard top complete /w/
casters.

Worked well as a portable table.

Each one was unique and served the purpose for which they were
designed.

They were all tables, but that was about it.

HTH

Lew