Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_3_] Steve W.[_3_] is offline

Default KitchenAid mixer repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Took my wife's kitchen aid gear head apart. The sacrificial worm gear
fell on its sword. Three teeth totally worn away. Easy fix as soon as
new gear arrives.

HOWEVER, while running the motor without the gearbox I noticed that it
does not run smoothly. Best I can describe is that it is 'hit and miss'
especially at the low speed. It kind of 'bucks' and 'jerks' while you
cradle it in your hands. The misses get fewer as I speed it up and are
not noticeable at the highest speed.

This is a brush (universal? ) type motor and the brushes are still
approx. one inch long. The mixer is labeled "solid state speed control"
although solid state components were not obvious to me. The speed lever
is mechanically connected to some sort of contact plate at the end of
the rotor. Moving the lever to higher speeds changes the angle of this
plate and for some reason the motor speeds up. There is a spring loaded
contact on this plate and if I push ever so gently on it the motor runs
a lot smoother and faster.

What is this mechanism (called a "control plate" in the parts diagram)
and could it be my problem?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

That would be the governor plate. Most of the kitchen aid mixers run
them. When the motor is under load it will run smooth. Just the way they
are designed.
Does yours have the metal gears or the plastic ones? They are
interchangeable but the metal lasts longer (although it is a bit
noisier) especially if you run the dough hook a lot. That and the
housing color is what separates the home models from the smaller
commercial units.

--
Steve W.