Posted to alt.home.repair
jacy jacy is offline

Default Stain after polyurethane removed

Reface or replace are out of the question on my budget. I did consider
paint, however I'd prefer to keep what little grain I do have although
I can't figure out what the veneer is -- maple, maybe, or birch? Not
much grain at all on the outside; inside must be whatever hardwood was
in vogue in the early 1950s midwest. (A carpenter, I'm not.)

The other challenge is the interior. Way back when we first sanded and
poly-coated these, we painted the cabinet frame interiors with white
alkyd gloss. It badly needs a fresh coat.

Any comments on those dip-n-strip places? There are 13 doors and 2
drawers and if I could get those stripped reasonably I think I might
be able to get the frames done before 2010. It's just me now, with
precious little spare time and as with most things, 80% of it is
labor. Googling chemical stripping services gets me a whole lot of
you-know-what and activates the parent filter.

Thanks,
~jacy

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:56:44 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:
[...]
Your other options a
* Paint