Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Stain after polyurethane removed

jacy wrote:

About 20 years ago we sanded and put a clear coat or two of poly on
our kitchen cabinets. I'd like to stain them dark. Can I expect good
results after removing the poly with a chemical stripper? I plan to
use a conditioner and then stain. I'm not looking for perfection --
these cabinets are nearly 60 years old and quite well used -- just
something reasonably passable to tide me over for a few more years
until a full kitchen reno.

~Jacy

I don't know what you mean by "conditioner", but yes......just be sure
to follow instructions
for the stripper. Methylene semi-paste stripper has wax in it for body
and if not completely
cleaned off, the wax can interfere with staining and finishing. Steel
wool (fine) and mineral
spirits are what I use for final clean up ... wipe that off with paper
towel. Light use of a
scraper takes off chem. stripper, then steel wool for the rest, and then
ms. Old wood is
generally nicer to finish, as it usually has patina.