Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default touchup paint kitch cabinets, or must reface?

On Nov 12, 1:59*pm, dumbstruck wrote:
On Nov 12, 2:12*am, ransley wrote:

You say paint, you say you want to see grain and mention limewash so I
dont know what you have.Kitchens often have to be stripped since
cooking covers everything in oils and hands contaminate cabinets,
thats probably where things are worn off. Touchups wont look the same
but you can try it.

Right, I meant varnish as a first choice, which is what I assume is on
there. But what kind of varnish normally goes on oak cabinets? It has
that typical honey color of all oak... does that come from something
clear or maybe an amber shellac?

The varieties are so confusing... do I have to decide between alcohol
vs petroleum base, or even water based acrylic (too clear)? I assume
not polyurethane or lacquer. What works easiest and looks most
compatible? Or is something like a translucent limewash a possible
alternate way to avoid sanding down to bare wood?

thanks

I used to do alot of wood refinishing with varnishes etc but once
tried Tung oil on my cabinets to just help a bit years ago freshen it
up, I had only bare spots where fingers dug in around knobs, I covered
the worn finish with the plates made for knobs. On color, oil finishes
yellow with age and cooking and light helps the process, the Tung oil
has held up realy well, but cant say without a real good photo, to
many variables. To recoat over any imbedded grease will be a bad
thing, often only stripping removes it.