Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe set-up

Ignoramus4763 wrote:
On 2008-11-11, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus3975 wrote:
My clausing lathe cuts tapers instead of straight cylinders.

So, Iggy, you made any progress on the lathe?

I spoke to a very nice person who offered to loan me a test bar. I
will hopefully clarify the taper in the headstock tonight and we'll be
able to move on it. It may be easier to do with a test bar that fits
into the Morse taper on the headstock.

Yes, I saw that offer. I usually use 1/2" or 3/4" hardened and ground
shafts, like out of old printers and such. You have to check the bar to
make sure it still is straight, of course. This has worked out quite
well for these sorts of checks. Just mount it in the chuck, turn the
chuck to make sure the bar is straight and not wobbling, and then ride a
dial test indicator up and down it to determine how well the machine is
aligned.

Jon