Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Gas spring mounting points, aarrrgghhh

Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Nov 11, 3:47 pm, Winston wrote:

Hi Winston, thanks for the reply but it is not quite that simple. The
gas spring has to compress almost fully during about 80% of the door
movement when closing, then it passes a toggle point and the gas
spring begins to extend again to provide the holding pressure.

Ah! I didn't know that.

(...)

I then went back and filled in the
other 6 holes I had started with when I had thought it was simple
installation. LOL

I call that 'successful approximation', when I do it.

This is the second gas spring I have had to mount in about 3 weeks and
I sure would like to find a method that works better than the sneaking
up on it one. I found a website with some lengthy and complex
Trigonometry and thought it was over complicated. I will go back and
look at that again.

If you can capture the equations on a spreadsheet, life could get
very much easier, especially if solved examples are available.

--Winston