Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default CH Thermostat Position

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "John" contains these words:

If it isn't in the warmest area the heating won't turn on even though
the area you want warm has cooled below the desired temp.

What on earth are you on about?

Does seem to be complete nonsense.

Shame that its not.

If you put the stat in the coldest place the temperature has to drop below
the desired temp in the warmer areas before the heating will turn on. In
fact the lounge could sit at a lower temperature for weeks at a time without
the heating switching on if you put the stat in a cooler area.

In an effort to cut our gas bill I'm trying to get the family used to
having
our programmer/room stat set at 20C instead of previous years where it's
been normal to have it at around 22-23C. The condensing combi boiler is
up
in the loft and the guy who installed the system (which was already in
when
we bought the house last year) installed the room stat in the living
room.

A sort of an unintended side-effect of the desire to cut our bills is
that
the living room seems to reach the required temperature of 20C quite
easily
and the stat then shuts off the boiler, resulting in the rest of the
house
being cold - or at least colder than son in his bedroom doing his
homework,
daughter in her bedroom, and anyone wanting a shower, would like it to
be.

That's the effect of fitting it in the warmest area - I'm moving our stat
into the hallway.

But you are barking up the wrong tree as well. Your heating problem
stems from the room where the stat is heating up faster than the rest of
the house. It matters very little that that is the room you want to be
the warmest in the house ( but see below).

What you need to do is balance the heating system so every room warms up
in approximately the same time. It is likely that the warmest room is
also the room that will have the fastest temperature drop but if that is
not the case then the system needs to be set up so the rest of the house
actually warms up faster than the warmest room otherwise the rest of the
house will gradually drift colder as the thermostat governs the
temperature in the warmest room.

Putting the stat in the hall is the favourite trick of professional
installers as it is generally the easiest place and, as one installer
explained to me, it is conveniently placed to turn the heating down if
you go out. However the hall may be the worst possible place to put the
stat as the temperature drop in the hall is likely to be slower than
that in the living room so the boiler may often not be firing when the
living room actually needs heat except for the relatively rare times
when there is constant traffic in and out of the house.

The hall is a cr@p place unless you really want the hall to be as hot or
hotter than the lounge.