Posted to alt.home.repair
Sharp Dressed Man[_2_] Sharp Dressed Man[_2_] is offline

Default Roof Engineering Question

"Fotheringay-Phipps" wrote in message
I have a question about the structure of my attic roof. As it stands
now, the roof beams are given some additional support from beams
(2x4)
that are parallel to the floor and which are nailed into the roof
beams on either side, about half-way between the attic floor and the
peak of the roof. IOW the roof is structured like an A, although the
crossbeams are about 1 every 4 linear feet (versus the roof beams
themsevels, which are 16" apart).

The purpose of these cross-beams is presumably to stop the weight of
the roof from pushing the roof down and the exterior walls of the
house apart.

However, I would like to make some more use of the attic space, and
these cross beams are in the way. So I'm casting about for another
method of achieving the same support in a less obstrusive manner.

Most specifically, I'm wondering if I can remove these beams and
instead nail vertical beams into the ceiling beams and into the floor
joists of the attic. So that instead of supporting the roof by
binding
the two halfs of the roof to each other, I would be supporting it by
propping up the roof against the 2x8s that form the attic floor.

Does this make sense? Does anyone know and/or is there some way for me
to determine this without hiring a structural engineer?

Yeah and after you get some expert advice on that one here, be sure to ask
for some added suggestions on how to restructure your retirement portfolio,
what you should do about your most serious medical problems, how to relate
to your wife and how to raise your children.....and do whatever they tell
you