Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Work table design ideas?

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Should close escrow on a forclosure in a few days and need to build
out my 2 car garage shop. Besides pulling in all my machinery and
tools from all the various shops an other locations they currently
live, I need to build a shop table.

I am going for a 4 x 8 flat surface. I'll build storage under it as
needed and I will make sure it is movable. I am thinking of a
derivation of this design. Anyone else have design ideas or input?

Some things to consider:

Do you want a "work table" or a "storage surface"?

Have built a couple of work tables for use as fiberglass cutting
tables (A roll of glass weighs about 250 lbs) using 2x6 frame and
legs, double 1/2 CDX top and 1x4 diagonal bracing.

Basic brick out house construction.

The were built to take a beating, but would not have been worth a hoot
if equipped /w/ casters.

Built a 4x8 runout table for table saw /w/ storage drawers underneath.

Would have req'd a fork lift to move it.

Built a table /w/ 1x4 framing and 1/4 hardboard top complete /w/
casters.

Worked well as a portable table.

Each one was unique and served the purpose for which they were
designed.

They were all tables, but that was about it.

HTH

Lew