Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Work table design ideas?

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
... I need to build a shop table.

I am going for a 4 x 8 flat surface. I'll build storage under it as
needed and I will make sure it is movable. I am thinking of a
derivation of this design. Anyone else have design ideas or input?

I'm not keen on the thin top that drawing shows -- my favorite shortcut
for fixing that problem is the recycled or freight salvage type places
looking for exterior solid-core slab doors. 3-0 or 3-6 standard height
are normally almost giveaway and sizable places if you happen to have on
close usually can find taller than 80" for offices or commercial. I
found a pair of 3-8 x 8-0 solid core oak veneer exteriors for $10 ea
that were unbored but had a couple gouge marks one side where bunged up
by a forklift. These are heavy, though so support will need to be
beefed up. But, they are solid enough they take hard knocks --
essentially the advantages of glued-up bench top w/o the hassle.

Sometimes you can find used/salvage/damage butcher block but usually not
so large unless happen to have used restaurant equipment dealer--often
they'll have tops that aren't suitable for kitchen use any longer at
least w/o fully resurfacing that they don't want to do but a commercial
shop w/ large sander can clean up quickly...

If you're space-limited for multiple work stations, I'd also consider
making it as adjustable in height so it can do double duty as bench and
assembly table.

$0.02, etc., ...