Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default CH Thermostat Position

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Nov 12, 1:42 pm, David Hansen
wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:24:45 +0000 someone who may be
wrote this:-

At present I have my CH Wireless Thermostat situated in the Hall . I
am about to replace the hall rad and am wondering if this is the best
place for the thermostat.
Is there an ideal place to fit it

Possibly, though where is ideal depends on the building and its
orientation.

and what are the reasons for
fitting it in one area as opposed to another ?

Some pointers:

1) don't have it in a room with supplementary heating (including a
kitchen)

2) don't have it in a room with excessive solar gains

3) have it somewhere you want heated all the time (avoid a little
used dining room)

A hall or north facing bedroom can be good places.

before TRVs I woudl have said that you put the thermostat at the
place where you want the temperature to be most constant - in the
living room for example.

But with TRVs doing the temperature control in each room why do people
have thermostats any more? If it's to turn the heating system on in
cold weather then perhaps it should actully be outside!

given the crude control systems on CH these days it wouldn't work very well.
It would tell the boiler to fire and circulate the water even though it was
warm inside but cool outside.
The best place to fit it is in the warmest area.
If it isn't in the warmest area the heating won't turn on even though the
area you want warm has cooled below the desired temp.