Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Snags with submain, extending meter tails

"Tim S" wrote in message
BigWallop coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

WHAT???????? They want paid to remove the fuse? Bugger off!!!!!!

Pull
it
yourself and let them seal it when your finished with it. If they get
stroppey. Tell them you had to pull it for emergency reasons.

Did I mention the 1000 quid to move the meter...

Which is why it's not getting moved.

God Almighty!!!! What are we paying our bills for? You do know that a
KiloWattHour of supplied power is costed at 3 pence to the suppliers,

and
that the rest of the charge on your bill is for maintenance and
administration. I'm sure you've paid enough already, for them to give

you
a new supply to the new CU position.

Honestly, man, you're being to soft with them. Tell them you are
installing a temporary sub-main, and that you'd like the new final
circuits tested and
the supply re-enforced to the new position, please. They'll tell you

what
they need from you, and you tell them when you're ready for them to do

the
work.

As I have said before, though. Make sure your new install is up to
scratch
before calling them in to change it over. You will be charged for a
failure
and re-visit to the site. But with the way you are going about

designing
the sub-mains supply, I don't think you're going to make mistakes with
your
new install to the final circuits. The length you're talking about is a
breeze for them. They should be in and out before the kettle boils for
the
tea and biscuits you offered them when they arrived. :-)

It's worth a phone call to ask their procedures on such matters.

Not dealt with EDF before, have you?... ;-

Takes a week of bouncing around call centres who feign ignorance and pass
you somewhere else. After that week, you find random internal numbers on
the IET web forum. You call these until you get lucky and hit the

technical
dept.

Then you communicate with them via the technical department's email, that
usually turns around in a day...

The fuse pull procedure is: Phone up, book pull, fax in your EIC (doubt

they
even read it). Bloke turns up AM and pulls fuse. Comes back PM to replace.
If I have the isolator fitted in their box, he'll probably hang around for
10 minutes while I move the tails over. Nice thing with the Wylex REC2S
isolator is that there's a separate cover for the load terminals so it's
very safe to work on.

But in general nothing's easy with EDF.

Cheers

Tim

That's where your bill payment goes. It goes to pay for a the call center
in Istanbul. Cheaper to get the plane over there and book it directly,
then. :-)

Who do you pay for the electricity supply? Go through them. Tell them you
are moving everything to the new position, and let them deal with the new
supply. I'm sure they know a bloke down't pub that'll do it for a tenner.
As for the fuse. Do it yourself. They seal it once the new supply is
complete and tested. Save yourself a few pennies on that, at least.

I don't believe the faffing about they make everyone go through now. I
think I'll start up as an electricity supplier and steal all their customers
from them. No joke.